Re: Stock Sarge segfaults, and later crashes!

Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

It sounds like you may have a bad memory module.

Go grab a Knoppix CD or DVD and boot it with the memtest or memtest86
command.  You can check the cheat codes with F2 or F3 to see which it is
exactly.  Then let the box run for at least 12 hours on all the tests.
Depending on the amount of memory and the speed of the machine, you may
need to let it run significantly longer to do all the tests.

I suspected that too, so I ran my own stress tests overnight without
discovering a hardware problem.  My tests have always found memory problems
in the past, although sometimes they require a longer testing period.
In addition, this system is my main personal computer, which has been stable
for a long time.  At this point it seems unlikely to be a hardware problem.

I will run some more tests and report back if I find a hardware problem.