Re: Stock Sarge segfaults, and later crashes!

On Wed, Nov 23, 2005 at 03:30:52PM -0500, Marty wrote:
> I think this is the first time I have gotten segmentation faults using
> Debian stable, on stable hardware.  I got them while, or after, reading several
> 1.44M floppy disks, mounted using mount or fdmount.
>
> Before the segfaults, I may have lost track of what I was doing and tried to
> mount a floppy more than once, possibly several times.   The failure may also
> be related to previously using wine to unzip a DOS ZIP .exe file.
>
> I continued to lightly use the system for other unrelated tasks and it
> appeared to be stable, but later it crashed while shutting down, locking up
> with a stack trace dump, IIRC.  (Another first for me, with Debian stable.)
>
> After fsck cleanup, the files I unzipped using wine, and several wine conffiles
> were gone, as were many other files throughout the root file system.  The lost
> files were either open when I ran wine, or were subsequently opened.
>
> The kernel is a custom-compiled 2.6.8 stock debian kernel, on an all-stock,
> up-to-date
> sarge system.  Due to the severity of the failure I am reluctant to try to
> reproduce it,
> but I hope this information helps someone else who runs into this problem.

It sounds like you may have a bad memory module.

Go grab a Knoppix CD or DVD and boot it with the memtest or memtest86
command.  You can check the cheat codes with F2 or F3 to see which it is
exactly.  Then let the box run for at least 12 hours on all the tests.
Depending on the amount of memory and the speed of the machine, you may
need to let it run significantly longer to do all the tests.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto