Re: Printing & CUPS & filters.

Hi  Olive.

> > 1. Are there anywhere repositories of cups filters in public?
> >     The debian cupsys package only have some few filters
> >     and supported file formats. For exapmle we need filters
> >     for raster pcx and tga image to postscript or pcl.
> >     (We had a try for writing these filters but they not correctly work)
> >
> See http://linuxprinting.org
Ok, ok. I try find the solving and on this site. But I  imply not Foomatic "driver" but
imagetops filter which not support many image formats.

> > 2. How we can correctly solve a problem of printing of jobs
> >     with not supported formats? For example reject these jobs
> >     (MS World files, RTF, some images). Now these jobs  print as raw
> >     format. But we cannot delete support raw because have many jobs
> >     in binary PCL formats created  by windows drivers or other
> >     not Unix systems.
> >
> I'am not sure I understand your question. You can directly print (by lpr)
> just a few formats (.ps, .pdf, perhaps a little more). If you want to print
> another document, just open it with a program that understand the file
> format and select File -> Print. openoffice is generally capable to open
> most word files.
Yes. You are right. But some users like to directly print their files as
   lpr some-ms-word.doc  some.rtf ...  :(
and these jobs print as raw. How we can protect us in this situation using
CUPS? I think that we can write some filter which will reject such jobs.
May be already exist a way which solve this.

Thanx.