Need help with a CUPS, root, emacs puzzle

I'm running Stable on several i686 machines which are in a small
LAN. One of the machines has a printer attached.  I use CUPS to manage
the printer and provide print service to the other computers. It all
works when I use it as an ordinary user, including printing of files
from within Emacs. But, when I am editing a config file as root, I
cannot print the result from within Emacs*. Why? How do I fix this?  I
don't see any indication that a job was submitted, but rejected in the
CUPS logs. Is there someplace to look? Is there user/root dependent
configuration of Emacs? (probably yes) But, where is it?

*Symptoms are that Emacs issues a message that it is printing, but the
printer never becomes active.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net