how do i control file ownership in usbmount?

I have just installed usbmount. It is great at handling my
memory stick, but I have a problem:

The memory stick contains, I believe a vfat file system.
When it is mounted with usbmount, the files on it appear
to belong to user:group = root:root . However, vfat does
not, I think, contain any user:group assignments. I find
it inconvenient to have to log in as root, or use sudo
just to edit the files on the memory stick. That sort of
spoils all the convenience of the automatic mount.

Can I set up some config that will tell usbmount to assign
different, more convenient defaults to user:group? How?

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net