Re: WordPerfect 8.0

On 11/18/05, Marc Shapiro <mshapiro_42@yahoo.com> wrote:

Even before I noticed that my WP* was broken, however, I was thinking of
removing it since there is another option if you have a fast internet
connection.  Openoffice.org2 now handles WordPerfect files.  I tried it
on a document that I got from someone else, as well as all the documents
in the WP8 samples directory.  The only one that it failed to read
properly was the .wpg graphics file.  Granted, Openoffice.org2 is not in
Sarge, but it is easy enough to install from the files at
www.openoffice.org.  I did it recently and there has been much
discussion on the list, including what I did to install it.  Just look
through the archives for the thread 'OpenOffice 2 on Sarge?'.

I don't use WP8 for its file format!  I use it because it remains the best word processor out there, especially because of its "Reveal Codes" function which no other word processor does as well, that I've seen anyway.  And if OO.o2 is anything like OO.o, it's bloatware.  WP8 may have its flaws, but it remains my word processor of choice.  And I'm running it on a current testing system.  (And, no, I don't want to get into an argument about the merits; others have their word processor of choice.  I just want the same.)

Patrick