Re: Slow server response

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Andreas Rippl wrote:

> Hi Ed,
>
> first you should ask yourself, how do I quantify 'rather slowly'?
> And now just some random thoughts...
>
> - what does some kind of network monitoring tool (I use xnetload) show
>   for the interface in question when idle? when making a connection?
>
> - if the server is attached through an LAN, try pinging it from another
>   machine (as root) with ping -f (flood ping) and watch the network
>   saturation
>
> - use some tool like ethereal to analyze the packets exchanged while
>   making a connection
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Andreas Rippl -- GPG messages preferred
>                  Key-ID: 0x81073379

 Before this gets completely technical I have a few updates to the
original post. I added all our LAN machines to my /etc/hosts file and the
problem with POP and SSH lagging in repsponse seemed to disappear, at
least internally on the LAN. SMTP is still slow to respond from the LAN as
well as connections to SSH from outside our LAN.