Re: Request to remove Information

On Wed, 2005-11-16 at 13:44 -0800, Steve Lamb wrote:
> Antonio Rodriguez wrote:
> > No much difference between science and religion, same crap. Thus I
> > decline the offer.
>
>     Actually, there is one major difference.
>
>     Religion is based on the notion that they know everything and anything
> which doesn't fit into their worldview is wrong.  One must accept
> contridictions and inaccuracies on "faith".  Reason and logic are shunned and
> never to be used.  Religion is rigid, unyielding and incapable of admitting
> they are wrong.

This is definitely not an absolute truth.  Gregor Mendel was a monk,
Copernicus, Galileo, Kepler, Newton, Leibniz were (relatively)
orthodox.  In fact, before 1950, most scientists had a firm belief
in God.

>     Science, on the other hand, starts from the basis that we know nothing and
> attempts to identify how things work and explain those workings.  Science not
> only allows dissenting opinions, it *ENCOURAGES THEM*.  When one viewpoint is
> proven wrong it is discarded.  If something better comes along and stands the
> test of logic and reason within the community, it is accepted in place of
> whatever came before it.  Science is fluid and every changing but in a matter
> which promotes logic and reason.  In short, Science is perfectly capable of
> admitting it is wrong and modifying itself to evidence and facts of the world
> around it.

Ha ha ha ha ha.

Scientists are people.
People have biases, are selfish, vain, proud, etc.

Scientists thus have biases, are selfish, vain, proud, etc.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"It is easier to lead men to combat, stirring up their passion,
than to restrain them and direct them toward the patient labors
of peace."
Andre Gide