Re: sytem running out of free disk space

Realos wrote:

hello,

I have a debian machine with 1.4G hard disk which is running out of
space. Running "apt-get autoclean" and "apt-get autoclean" have provided
me with about 100M free space but it is still too short for my server
machine.

I see there are lots of documentations and unnecessary things on my
system (like locales I will never use etc.).

Can you people point me to a documentation or give some hints how to
deal with such problems in debian? I am not new to linux but have
relatively little experience with debian.

Regards,

I haven't tried it, but you could look at Kleensweep
http://linux.bydg.org/~yogin/

There are debs for Sarge, Etch and Sid available.
**
KleanSweep allows you to reclaim disk space by finding unneeded files. It can search for files basing on several criteria. KleanSweep consists of KDE-based (C++) graphical frontend and small helper Perl script that performs actual searching. All searches, except for orphaned files, duplicates and dead menu entries are as fast as usual 'find' would be.

Results for each criteria are shown in separate tab; files may appear on many tabs if they match many criteria - in this case they are "linked", so you have to mark (or unmark) file for deletion only once! Before actual deletion takes place, you're given an option to create backup archive.

Hth
Chris.