Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Andy Streich wrote:
> latest and greatest of everything.  What I did find surprising after reading
> this list for a while was that stable meant not only really stable but also
> really slow release cycle.  Okay, that's the price you pay for "really
> stable."

    Why be so hung up on release cycles?  I mean, really.  You know how much
attention I've paid to Debian's release cycles since installing?  Well, other
than the libc5 -> glibc2 conversion, none.  Again, it has to be stressed,
there is nothing that prevents the user from upgrading any package they choose
to a later version.  None.  At all.  Stable just means it won't be updated out
from under you.  That's *it*.  You want newer, go get newer!  Have fun!
Debian won't be upset, I promise.

> As a newbie I expected there to be a set of OS/utility packages that were
> released together (say, for example, like Sun does with Solaris) and various
> sets of application software that had independent release cycles.  The Debian
> model seems to be that all FLOSS software constitutes a "Debian release" and
> once that release happens you can pick and choose what you want.  Why is that
> a good thing?

    Application behaviors change between releases.  Hell, applications
configuration often changes and breaks between releases.  Also define
applications versus "OS".  MySQL, which is it?  I mean it is a dependancy for
many other tools but not something itself that would be considered part of the
OS.  Exim?  Postfix?  X?

    As I said, ya want newer, go for it!  Stable makes that possible because
it is just that, stable.  People can compile for stable knowing what's going
to be there.  It isn't a moving target.