Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Mark Crean wrote:
> I also run SuSE and have done for a few years now. It is normally every
> bit as stable as Debian Stable and security updates are often faster as
> well.

    This of course feeds into the misconception of Stable.  It's like "free
software" where people had to constantly say "Free as in open source, and free
as in free beer".  Debian stable is about stability in the "programs don't
crash" sense but it was named mainly for the "programs don't *change*" sense.
 So no, SUSE as you describe it is not every bit as stable as Debian Stable.
It changes, Debian Stable does not.

> Some
> of the comments on here about folks "deserving everything they get" and
> so forth if they do not run Stable are highly unattractive and reinforce
> negative attitudes about Debian. Since I'd like to make Debian my OS
> from here on in, this pains me.

    It's not the negative, it's the truth.  It also cuts both ways.  People
who lament the fact that Stable doesn't have newer software get what they
deserve by riding Stable; older software that doesn't change.  If they want
changing software, they ride unstable and, again, get what they deserve.