Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

Scott wrote:
> Steve Lamb wrote:

>>Scott wrote:

>>>And then OpenOffice.0rg 3, Firefox 2.0, GIMP 3.0, GNOME 2.16, and KDE
>>>4.0 will be released within the following month discouraging many from
>>>sticking with Debian stable....

>>    You still misunderstand.  The point is there is no one standing there with
>>a gun to their head forcing said people to stick to stable.  *NO ONE*.

> Considering I'm *not* running stable, I understand perfectly.  Where
> have I implied I was?

    Where did I imply you had said you were?  My response was to your general
statement that "people" would shy away from Debian stable.  I responded that
"people" don't have a gun to their head forcing them to remain on stable.
Never once were you mentioned.

> What Debian (or SOMEBODY please) needs is a new "stable" release at
> least once a year with security updates, bugfixes AND *major* software
> package (i.e 1.5 to 2.0, 3.6-4.0) updates to that release as the next
> release is being simultaneously developed.

    Nope, stable is stable.  Stable let's you know there's a very solid base.
 It is up to the users to then upgrade packages as they so desire.  It's isn't
like there aren't 4 repositories that I can think of off the top of my head to
achieve just this.

> Wait, there is one I can think of, but unfortunately they utilize this
> software called YUM and hand have a gazillion packages but Debian has a
> gazillion and a half.

    Funny, mine don't.

testing
unstable