Re: A few general questions from a Debian newbie

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005, Carl Fink wrote:

BTW, I think Sarge is more than just "usable" for desktops right now. What I fear as a long-time Debian user is that it'll have plenty of time to BECOME obsolete, because Etch won't be released until 2010 or something. If Etch goes frozen by June of next year, the stable-only policy makes perfect sense.

I think you are spot on. One of the reasons we love Debian is the rock solid stability. The discussions leading up to the last freeze lead me to believe most users and developers want a release cycle faster than those in the past. IMHO 12-18 months would be ideal. I really think this is achievable without increasing the work load on the developers (something we can't ask).

Rob

--
Robert Brockway B.Sc.		Phone:	+1-416-669-3073
Senior Technical Consultant	Email:	support@opentrend.net