Re: grammar checkers

On Sun, 13 Nov 2005 02:38:02 -0500
Mark Grieveson <dg135@torfree.net> wrote:

> A function of computers is to help people to communicate, and become
> empowered. Some computer users are recent immigrants, for whom English
> is not their first language.   Some computer users did not have a
> chance to attend post-secondary education, and worry about how they
> sound.  And some are educated, but still like to have both their
> spelling and grammar checked once in a while.  Whenever I ask, in a
> Linux forum, why Linux word processors do not have grammar checkers, I
> usually receive snobby answers implying that grammar checkers are
> stupid, and therefore so am I.  And this always surprises me.

There is grammar checking for Abiword, but it's a work in progress and
not available for a released version.

For those who think grammar checking is stupid.

How many times have you seen posts asking about "duel boot"?

As fascinating as the idea of setting up multiple OSes to face each
other in single combat sounds, I think this is not really what these
people are wanting to know. ;)

Is this not the kind of error that grammar checking is intended to
prevent?

Later, Seeker