Re: gcc-4 : am I the only one having problems?

On Thursday 10 November 2005 07:49 pm, Jules Dubois wrote:
> On Thursday 10 November 2005 19:40, Mike Chandler
> <mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net>
>
> (<[🔎] 200511101840.00739.mailmanmike@sbcglobal.net>) wrote:
> > Since my testing system updated to gcc-4, I can no longer build a kernel
> > (the
> > debian way). Doing "make oldconfig" or  "make xconfig" gives errors
> > almost immediately and won't build.
>
> What version of gcc do you have?  (gcc --version)
>
> Here's one way.  Find these lines in the top-level Makefile:
>
>   HOSTCC          = gcc
>   HOSTCXX         = g++
>
> Change them to match your compiler version.  For example,
>
>   HOSTCC          = gcc-3.3
>   HOSTCXX         = g++-3.3
>
> I think 'update-alternatives' can be used to change the gcc link to
> something other than gcc-4.0.  As it's been a very long day at the IDE, the
> details escape me and I don't seem to have any other version installed at
> the moment.
>
> > Another problem when it becomes necessary to re-install the NVIDIA
> > driver. Won't build.
>
> Sorry, I don't know anything about closed-source drivers.
>
> > Just curious if I need to do something other than roll back to gcc-3.3 to
> > build a new kernel.
>
> The Debian 2.6.14 source configures and compiles cleanly with gcc 4.0.
Thanks for the reply. I guess gcc-4.0 is the one that doesn't work for me.
Where is this kernel-2.6.14? I guess it's not in the testing repository.
I currently run a home-built 2.6.8, but to compile it I had to revert to
gcc-3.3.
As far as the NVIDIA driver, it won't compile with gcc-4.0 either.
I'm starting to think it IS just me!
:)