Re: New Linux worm crawls the web

Cameron L. Spitzer wrote:
> It's misleading to call these things "Linux worms."

Very true.

> I think it's a major security bug for /tmp and /var/tmp
> to be mounted with exec privileges.

Due to the design of ld.so, the noexec flag is no-op on Linux systems.
It's at most a minor speedbump to running a file in /tmp. Just use
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /path/to/a/binary to run any binary no matter what
its execute permissions. Or just don't base your worm on needing to run
executables from disk, which is also fairly easy to do.

--
see shy jo