Re: OpenOffice 2 on Sarge?

Marc Shapiro wrote:
Joseph Haig wrote:

I think the sensible options are:

  1) Get the package directly from OpenOffice.org
  2) Create a backport (and let me have a copy, please  ;-) )
  3) Upgrade to sid

I have DLd the tarball from OOo, but I have a few questions before I go any farther.

After creating the .debs will installing them remove OOo-1.x? If so, am I likely to run into any problems with OOo-2? If so, can I just uninstall all of the V2 stuff and reinstall the V1 stuff (I still have the .debs in /var/cache/apt/archives)?

Well, I just installed using dpkg -i *.deb and now both v1.x and v2.0
seem to work fine.  I was concerned about v2.0 working, which is why I
left v1.x on my laptop, but I haven't had any problems.  I've changed
my prefs so that all of my old OpenOffice files open with v2.0 now.
Someone else mentioned that they read that you're supposed to remove
v1.x before installing v2.0, but I didn't read that, and I guess I'm
glad I didn't.  I plan to leave v1.x installed, as it doesn't seem
to be hurting anything, and I've got enough disk space.

Hope this helps.

--
Andy Anderson
Salisbury, MD, USA

"A truly happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery on a detour."
                                                     - Anonymous