Re: apt-get install wants to remove too much

On Tue, 1 Nov 2005 18:03:00 +0100
Thomas Schuett <ts@tschuett.de> wrote:
> when I do  apt-get install mozilla-browser
>
> it answers:
> [...]
> WARNING: The following essential packages will be removed
> This should NOT be done unless you know exactly what you are doing!
>   e2fsprogs sysvinit

I would try doing:

apt-get install --reinstall e2fsprogs sysvinit

: and see what changes it wants to make and go from there. If you want
to start with a Knoppix base and install from Debian repositories there
is potential to break your installation and you have to be willing to
take risks and use the packaging tools if you want to make the
transition.

The transition can be made, but like was said in another post:

"Knoppix isn't Debian, and all the morons in the world can't make it so,
no matter what they want to claim."

Some configuration stuff seems to be pretty deeply ingrained and even
after upgrading every package on the system Knoppix configuration stuff
still remains.

Once upon a time I did the Knoppix hard drive install and updated from
Debian unstable just about every day for more than 2 years. Lots of
upgrades lots of replaced configurations a few bouts of purging and
reinstalling packages and even after all of that there was residual
stuff from Knoppix. One day I had an issue that I am pretty sure was
caused by the differeces between Knoppix and Debian that I couldn't
figure out.

That's not saying you shouldn't do it, just saying be prepared.

Later, Seeker