Re: GRUB & Sarge & Win XP

On 05/11/05, Simo Kauppi <swk@nic.fi> wrote:

> The 'ntldr missing' could mean that it is really missing from the
> Windows disk. I guess you can mount the Win disk from Linux and check if
> the Win is missing some of its files.

Thank you Simo, I have tried all possible combinations in the menu.lst
file but there's no way to let it raise. As you have suggested I have
mounted the /dev/hdb disk under linux looking for the boot files but I
can't see them, neither with ls nor with ls -a, since they usually are
hidden in windows, but there's no trace of them. So here it is what i
think now, and please let me know if I could be wrong: when I
installed windows xp on the second drive, the boot files have been
saved at the beginning of the first drive and got overwritten when I
then installed Debian.

> See for example http://www.ntfs.com/missing-corrupted-system-files.htm
> for details.

thanks, I'm going to look for a way to restore windows boot files.

> Also make sure that you have the /boot/grub/device.map file with
> (hd0)   /dev/hda
> (hd1)   /dev/hdb
> in it.

it's ok

> Also you can try to comment out the 'boot' at the end. I'm not sure it
> is needed, even though I don't know if it can cause any harm either.
>
> This is what I used, when I had Windows in /dev/hdb. I can't remember
> why I did it that way, but it worked for me...
> title          Microsoft Windows XP
> rootnoverify   (hd1,0)
> map            (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
> map            (hd1,0) (hd0,0)
> savedefault
> makeactive
> chainloader    +1

I have tried your really same grub script but it still doesn't work

Thank you a lot,
ilvecchioalex