Re: GRUB & Sarge & Win XP

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 09:31:15AM +0100, Alessandro Ciorcalo wrote:
> On 04/11/05, Ryan Nowakowski <tubaman@fattuba.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 03, 2005 at 10:56:12PM +0100, Alessandro Ciorcalo wrote:
>
> > > title Windows XP Professional
> > > #map (hd0) (hd1)
> > > #map (hd1) (hd0)
> > > rootnoverify (hd1,0)
> > > chainloader +1
> > > makeactive
> > > boot
>
> > When you uncomment the map lines, you might also have to change
> > rootnoverify (hd1,0) to (hd0,0)
>
> Thanks Ryan, when I uncomment the "map" lines and invert the
> rootnoverify command I get an "Error12: invalid device requested"
> error, when I leave the "map" lines commented I get an "ntldr missing"
> error.
> I don't really know what to do yet.
>
> ilveccihoalex

The rootnoverify should be (hd1,0), as the map command does not affect
how grub sees the drives. Also you need the map commands uncommented.

The 'ntldr missing' could mean that it is really missing from the
Windows disk. I guess you can mount the Win disk from Linux and check if
the Win is missing some of its files.

See for example http://www.ntfs.com/missing-corrupted-system-files.htm
for details.

Also make sure that you have the /boot/grub/device.map file with
(hd0)   /dev/hda
(hd1)   /dev/hdb
in it.

Also you can try to comment out the 'boot' at the end. I'm not sure it
is needed, even though I don't know if it can cause any harm either.

This is what I used, when I had Windows in /dev/hdb. I can't remember
why I did it that way, but it worked for me...
title          Microsoft Windows XP
rootnoverify   (hd1,0)
map            (hd0,0) (hd1,0)
map            (hd1,0) (hd0,0)