Re: ip alias interfaces don't respond

On 10/27/05, Scott Edwards <supadupa@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'm trying to determine why I can ssh into
> > this box on the first ip address, but cannot on any of its other ips.
> > There's 9 ip addresses in all.  This machine has worked fine for some
> > time...
>
> To restate, a machine I own has nine IP Addresses assigned to it.
> Access to the first IP Address works ok.  Services are not responding
> on any other address.  I added a few accounting only rules to iptables
> to see if there are any counted. tcpdump displays traffic directed to
> the apparently unresponsive addresses, and iptables hasn't incremented
> any rules that should match.  Works the same way with the old or new
> kernels.

It appears the upstream router was a tad bit foobar on my port
configuration.  tcpdump -n udp and not ether host <my mac addy> was
showing identical traffic, and caught my attention.  I used arpspoof
to reannounce my ip addresses, and apparently the upstream router got
a $@*$(%$ clue.  All traffic and iptables counters started to operate
normally after this.

Thanks anyway folks.  Hopefully you'll not have to encounter this.  If
this does fix the problem I've discussed, keep the subject intact and
reply (hopefully in a manner the message thread will stay intact on
gmail ...)

Thanks again!