ip alias interfaces don't respond

I'm greatly scratching my head trying to determine why I can ssh into
this box on the first ip address, but cannot on any of its other ips.
There's 9 ip addresses in all.  This machine has worked fine for some
time - but that's not to say I didn't do something correct...  I'm
pretty sure it was correct to begin with, but there is certainly an
issue now.

A few weeks ago the machine was rebooted gracefully w/o incident.  It
was up for at least 30 days prior to my attempt to start using the
2.4.31 kernel.  I have made an attempt to regress to the most previous
2.4.26-grsec kernel with no apparent improvement.

During troubleshooting, I've temporarily discontinued using iptables
on the source and destination machines.  I've rebooted after making
network changes (a specific routing issue lingers in the back of my
mind for changes like this).  I even attempted to run tcpdump to
inspect what's occurring while using ssh or ping (three systems in
all).  Sometimes I see nothing, a few times I've seen the ping
requests or ssh tcp syn packets, but no reply.

I've spent most of my day on this issue.  I look forward to any
suggestions.  Feel free to start over with my troubleshooting in case
I missed something along the way...

Thanks,

Scott.