Re: Access to multiple terminal windows?

On Sun, 2005-10-23 at 20:13 +0100, m@de-minimis.co.uk wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> When operating in terminal only mode (no X11, no graphical user interface)
> is there a way of having several active terminal windows?
>
> I seem to remember that something like F4 is meant to permit cycling
> through terminal windows but that doesn't seem to work.  Unless perhaps I
> have to explicitly create a new terminal window and F4 is cycling me
> through all of one terminal windows.  I'm on tty1 and for the time being
> seem to be stuck there!

Sounds like you're using an honest-to-$DEITY VTx20 terminal (or
PC emulation thereof).  It's been a loooong time since I've done
that.

IIRC, F4 drops the VT into "command" mode, so that *if* your VT
is plugged into a terminal server, then you could have 4 sessions,
and round-robin between them.  But, you probably aren't connected
via a terminal server...

screen(1) is probably what you want.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"A woman should dress to attract attention. To attract the most
attention, a woman should be either nude or wearing something as
expensive as getting her nude is going to be."
P.J. O'Rourke, satirist