Re: Wireless Help

On Sat, Oct 22, 2005 at 07:33:01PM -0700, Greg wrote:
> "wireless assistnat" from sourceForge.net.  The file is called
> "wlassistant_0.5.4a-2_i386.deb" and is sitting in my home directory.
> My question is how do I install this.  From my desktop, I click on the

You need to handle this from the command line. There may be
some way to do it graphically -- maybe using Synaptic? --
but the command-line route is pretty straightforward. Just
go to the command line and type

dpkg -i wlassistant_0.5.4a-2_i386.deb

to install the .deb file. There are a few caveats here:

1) You need to run that command as the root user. There are
   a few ways to do this, but the best is probably to use
   'sudo'. If you don't know about sudo, now isn't the place
   to go into the details. Google around and you'll find
   plenty about how to get started with it. In the meantime,
   you can sign in as the root user using the 'su' command
   and the root password, then run the dpkg command from
   above.

2) The wireless assistant may depend on other packages that
   you've not installed. If so, the dpkg command above will
   give you some errors and say that it needs other
   packages. You'll then need to download these other
   packages and run 'dpkg -i' on them as well.

If you can help it, it's better to get a package directly
out of the apt system. Then you'd do something like

sudo apt-get install wlassistant

which would install all of wlassistant's dependencies first,
then install wlassistant. But in this case, it looks like
wlassistant is not in Debian, so you have no choice but to
download and install other .deb files. That said, there are
probably lots of other packages that *are* in Debian which
do what you need, and it would be easier for you to use one
of those.

What are you trying to do with this package? We may be able
to recommend others.

--
Stephen R. Laniel
steve@laniels.org