slow 3D game performance

Hi debianners,

I tried to play 'Enemy Territory' under linux but the graphic speed is
unbearable. When I am the only on-line player, the graphic speed is ok. But
when they are many players, the picture became skippy like a slow motion
movie.

Under windows, with same hardware configuration, the performance is OK.

My card is radeon 7200 and I have the following kernel configuration:

CONFIG_AGP=y
CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
CONFIG_DRM=y
CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y

I am using xfree86 and there is indeed some 3D support since tuxracer is
running well.

My question is:

Does linux's 3D performance innately weaker than that on windows? Because
the driver is not well developed?

Is there anything wrong with my configuration?

What to do to accelerate this game's performance under linux?

regards

bxuef

--
dhammapada says:

  There is no fire like desire. There is no weakness like anger. There is
  no suffering like the khandhas. There is no happiness greater than
  peace. 202