Re: slow 3D game performance

On 10/22/05, phyrster <phyrster@gmail.com> wrote:
> I tried to play 'Enemy Territory' under linux but the graphic speed is
> unbearable. ...
> Under windows, with same hardware configuration, the performance is OK.
>
> My card is radeon 7200 and I have the following kernel configuration:
>
> CONFIG_AGP=y
> CONFIG_AGP_VIA=y
> CONFIG_DRM=y
> CONFIG_DRM_RADEON=y
I'm not sure if this will help, but what about CONFIG_AGP_ATI ?

> I am using xfree86 and there is indeed some 3D support since tuxracer is
> running well.
>
> My question is:
>
> Does linux's 3D performance innately weaker than that on windows? Because
> the driver is not well developed?
>
> Is there anything wrong with my configuration?
>
> What to do to accelerate this game's performance under linux?
I do not think that GNU/Linux's 3D performance is innately weak. It
has more to do with the drivers that you use. I play the same game
with an nVIDIA GeForce FX5200 and the game runs extremely smoothly
even with over 25 people in the game.
For ATI, you have a couple of options: you can use the open-source DRI
drivers, or you can use the "semi-open-source" drivers that ATI has
developed (which are available on their website). Find out which one
you are using, and then try the other one.

Hope this helps,
Malcolm
mlalkaka@gmail.com