Re: rosegarden4 no sound SOLVED

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 02:21:00 -0700
Seeker5528 <seeker5528@comcast.net> wrote:

> If you want to use as soundfont with timidity you have to configure
> timidity to use a soundfont with something like:

OK, got that sorted out.

> sfxload is for loading .sbk or .sf2 files when using the oss driver
> with compatible soundblaster cards.
>
> asfxload is for loading .sbk or .sf2 files when using the alsa driver
> with compatible soundblaster cards.

I was not aware of the distinction. I also had a prebuilt version of
sfxload in /usr/local/bin that might have caused issues. I removed it
and installed awesfx from sarge. So thus we can compare apples and
apples.

Am using alsa here. Still, running asfxload with a sound font file just
tells me there's no emox device available.

> Compatible cards would be AWE32, AWE64, Live, and Audigy cards. I
> believe for Audigy cards it currently only works for cards the use the
> emu10k1 driver.

emu10k1 is what I've been using for years. One would think this is a no-
brainer.

According to lsmod I have snd_emux_synth, snd_emu10k1_synth loaded and
available as modules (non zero value in third position).

After reading the appropriate file (briefly, I'll admit), I ran a
modprobe on snd-emu10k1-synth with an asfxload command to load a sample
soundfont file from the appropriate place. The command returned no
errors.

Playing with alsamixer/kmix etc. does not seem to help, as now playign
a wav file - or playing back wav content I just record plays some
horrendous noise instead of the desired result. mp3 files are playing
fine, and I have amarok loaded now. Still, I might have bollixed up
something temporarily as that normally has always worked fine. But for
some reason or other, the sliders in alsamixer & kmix aren't always
connected to the intended ones, and that's something I've noticed now
for sometime. Instead of for intance raising the volume with Master or
PCM, wave surround is the one I use. Could (possibly) the cables be
plugged in wrong? I dunno, and haven't really looked, to tell you the
truth. I've just managed to get used to it :).

In truth, I'm a newbie when it comes to sound fonts and midi playback,
since I've only sparingly played with it. Apps like rosegarden make it
worthwhile to try again to get it working :). One thing - if I load a
sound font (maybe a big one?) does it hamper the sound card - so at
some point I would have to unload it in order to use other things, or
can I just keep it there?

> The README.Debian file in /usr/share/awesfx tells you how to load a
> soundfont and how to make it load automatically when the
> snd_emu10k1_synth is loaded.

OK then. Getting that working too. I found a font site on the net and
thus have a followup file - how to convert sfpack to sf2?

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.