Re: rosegarden4 no sound SOLVED

On Wed, 28 Sep 2005 22:06:20 +0100
Joe Mc Cool <joe@benburb.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> Once I'd fired up the file I wanted to play, I had to right click on
> each track and assign it to a midi device (software midi device in my
> case).

Hmm. I tried that, and got it haflway pointed to 128:1 (timidity) but
still no sound output. I can play them on the command line with
timidity - and that's the only way they have been able to play for a
very long time since I first discovered rosegarden over a year ago.
Specifically, there's not an easy way to distinguish between which
output device goes to which port - it's trial and error until you
discover for instance that output device #3 is 128:0 (ttimidity -iA
running in background).

Timidity is too slow here to run in real time (Athlon 1ghz, 2.6.13
kernel, sarge). There are too many skips and places where it repeats
notes over and over again (buffer probs?). Secondly, even when sfxload
is run, timidity doesn't use these sound fonts, right? Thus something
like Bach's cello suites don't sound anything like a cello. I thought
this soundblaster live 5.1 card was supposed to do all that midi stuff
- please -- i''ve gotten better results with an adlib.

Yet, although I am pretty sure this worked once (early 2001? on
Mandrake?) I have not been able to get any sound out of midi save for
using timidity <mid file>.

Am I not understanding something fundamental here? Isn't the
Soundblaster supposed to have an onboard midi sequencer or something?
Or is it simply a sequencer, not a synthesizer (i.e, in I'm supposed to
be able to send a midi event (say a b flat at a particular pitch with a
particular tone bank setting) to the hardware device directly, and
expect a cello sound out the speakers???

Come on - rosegarden4  is so cool - I like the equation editor, haven't
been able to play with something this cool since back in the win days
using roland mpu 401 hardware & special windows software)...

help

dfox@tsoft.com                            change magnetic patterns
dfox@m206-157.dsl.tsoft.com               on your hard disk.