Re: Ready to join the club..

Greg wrote:
Okay.  I played with some of the mouse settings and was able to get
into X but mouse wouldn't work.  I googled some and found this from
Kent West;

If you're in X, press Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get to the second virtual
terminal;
if you're not in X, you're fine where you are.

"apt-get install gpm"
Tell gpm that your mouse is on "/dev/psaux", of type "imps2", and to
repeat "raw". After gpm is installed, move the mouse; you should see a
white block cursor moving on the screen. If not, run "gpmconfig" and
tinker with the settings some more. If you have a USB mouse, the
location will be "/dev/input/mice", but you also have to have USB
support working, which is another can of worms.

Then reconfigure X to use the raw data repeated from gpm. Do this with
the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", and specify
"/dev/gpmdata" as the mouse location. You'll need to restart X after
this. If you started X with "startx", just switch back to X with
(Ctrl-)Alt-F7, and press Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill X. If X was started
with a tool like kdm or gdm (you had a graphical logon screen), restart
that tool with a command like "/etc/init.d/gpm restart" (substitute
xdm,
wdm, kdm for gdm until it works).

Now your mouse should be working.

Under what conditions can I copy data under X and paste with gpm and viceversa, with just the mouse strokes?