Re: Ready to join the club..

Greg wrote:

>"apt-get install gpm"
>Tell gpm that your mouse is on "/dev/psaux", of type "imps2", and to
>repeat "raw".

I have since learned that the "officially" proper repeat type is "ms3".

>If you have a USB mouse, the
>location will be "/dev/input/mice", but you also have to have USB
>support working, which is another can of worms.
>
>Then reconfigure X to use the raw data repeated from gpm. Do this with
>the command "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86", and specify
>"/dev/gpmdata" as the mouse location.

If you're using a USB mouse, I believe both gpm and X can be configured
to read from /dev/input/mice/. The /dev/input/mice device is smart
enough to be able to feed mice events to multiple readers, whereas with
the older /dev/psaux device, when gpm read a mouse event, that event
would not be readable by X, and vice-versa, so that the mouse was
unpredictable; letting gpm read all the events, and then repeating them
to X solved this problem.

--
Kent