Re: cloning a system to another partition - what to change?

?!?!  Solved it isn't, but this workaround is FAST :

1 - boot the original system (say, on hda8), get root

2 - get into the cloned system (say, on hda10)

    mkdir /mnt/hda10

    mount /dev/hda10 /mnt/hda10

3 -  fix /dev/hda10 /mnt/etc/fstab and /dev/hda10 /mnt/grub/menu.lst as
described in previous message, to make hda10 the center of everything

4 - chroot into the cloned system and start the grub console:

    chroot /mnt/hda3 /bin/bash

    grub

5 - now, at the grub prompt:

    root (hd0,9)

    setup (hd0,9)

    quit

This installs grub in the BR of /dev/hda10, with the parameters from
/boot/grub/menu.lst, as from previous message.

At this point, either with grub or with GAG, I can kickstart the
/dev/hda10 partition, the local instance of grub correctly boots the
kernel and the *UNMODIFIED* initrd.img.

Now, all parameters being absolutely the same (mutatis mutandis)
- for original and clone
- for interactive with boot floppy and installed grub
I really don't understand why they both boot via GAG and chainloading
grub, but only the original system boots via a direct, interactive root
and kernel call.

Any idea?

Assuaged but befuddled, I get on with life.

'Hog