Re: cloning a system to another partition - what to change?

Thank you Hugo, but I am not really going to use Mondo instead of
understanding what the issue is.  :-)  Are you sure it rebuilds
initrd.img to fit a new root partition??  (I use and like Mondo though,
and might try it in a Serious Cloning Emergency - ...)

Thank you too Mike, but I have already tried several times with either
GNU/Linuxspeak "/dev/hda6" or Grubspeak "(hd0,5)" so it must be
someting else.

Moreover,

1) Being the "boot" root and the "running" root one and the same, the
second root specification should be redundant anyway.

2) Funnier yet: /dev/hda5 is not mentioned at all in my grub commands.
Why is grub grabbing it instead of e.g., /dev/hda1 or the floppy?
Occam's razor: the initrd image was made with hda5 as root, man
mkinitrd says one should spec the root if not the same as the current
system root (if mkinitrd works, that is), so if not from me, the idea
of latching onto hda5 is likely to come from it. :0

So, up the stream bar paddle esp. w.r.t. why mkinitrd now refuses to
produce any initrd image.  This is a strictly fresh and standard 3.1
install with no subsequent changes - I didn't touch any conffile!

Ideas?

Grateful but uncloned, I remain.