Re: new users

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:33:58PM -0400, Robert Wolfe wrote:
Darren, you cannot do file transfers via SSH. You will need to use FTP to transfer the files. Or you can use SAMBA or CIFS to do file sharing on the Debian box, which is what I do.

That's about as wrong as you can be, I think. There are two main
mechanisms supporting file transfer over ssh: scp and sftp. The first is
quite similar to the old rcp protocol, but is encrypted with ssh. The
second is similar in function to the standard ftp protocol. It requires
the sftp subsystem to be enabled in the ssh server configuration, but
this is the default on a new install.

There are both command line and graphical clients for either protocol.
Command line clients are generally the scp and sftp programs that are
provided by OpenSSH. Graphical clients are varied, and include
FUGU on Mac OS X or WinSCP on Windows. Additionally, several
standard FTP clients have added SFTP and/or SCP support recently, including Transmit on Mac OS X and FileZilla on Windows.

In fact I highly recommend that anyone considering running an FTP server
for personal file access instead investigate using SSH. It is
simpler to set up and much more secure than an FTP server.

--
Steve Block
http://ev-15.com/