apt-0.6 off line usage

I've always used 'apt-get -d <>' to download updates and new packages
over my dialup and then gone off line and installed with 'apt-get
install <>'.  However, now I'm unable to do this on apt-0.6.

It will do 'apt-get update' and 'apt-get -d dist-upgrade' ok, but
after going off line, and trying 'apt-get dist-upgrade', it complains
that it couldn't stat source package lists (/var/lib/apt/lists/<>).
Sure enough, when I look at /var/lib/apt/lists, they are missing.
However, the <>.deb's are available in my /var/cache/apt/archive.

The only way I seem to be able to get packages installed is to go back
on line and do the 'apt-get dist-upgrade'.  For one or two packages,
this may be ok, but it's not something I want to waste time doing
routinely.

Is this a feature of the new apt, or have I discovered a bug?  Also,
I've tried googling and reading the man pages, but find no helpful
tips.

TIA