Re: Writing technical text

Yes, there's Lyx and there's a commercial wysiwyg latex editor that my photonics friends at university used to rave about - can't remember the name of it though and it wasn't cheap - about 300 GBP=450 USD by memory.

But these are rather like HTML editors - they don't give me the control I crave - and unless they are very good at not messing around my hand written code I have no time for them. Doesn't stop me from trying to make a good wysiwyg HTML editor though!

Be prepared to ask lots of questions when using latex, rather than get frustrated. It's like unix - there's a simple way of doing most things but sometimes it's non-obvious. If there is a latex mailing list out there join it, and let us know about it too whilst you are at it!

Best Wishes,

Max.