Re: new users

On Wed, Oct 19, 2005 at 01:33:58PM -0400, Robert Wolfe wrote:
> Darren, you cannot do file transfers via SSH.  You will need to use FTP
> to transfer the files.  Or you can use SAMBA or CIFS to do file sharing
> on the Debian box, which is what I do.

Sorry, the statement "you cannot do file transfers via SSH. You will
need to use FTP" is too simplistic and, possibly, gives the wrong
message (see below).

No, you can't use ssh itself _but_  OpenSSH and various other SSH
implementations do include scp (secure copy).  You can transfer
files from one machine to another if you have the SSH server running.

scp server://home/amacater/myfile.txt .

will copy a file called myfile.txt on machine server under amacater's
home directory to wherever I am now. scp is useful for three reasons
(at least) :

1. All copies are effectively binary copies and you don't have to worry
about ftp ASCII/binary mode.

2. Copy is secured by the same ciphers as SSH and uses the same port -
you only have to have port 22 open.

3. On an unreliable network: ssh and scp do binary checksumming as part
of the protocol - you know you should have an exact bit for bit copy.

HTH,

Andy