Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Ryo said...
> Hi all,
>
> marc wrote:
> [...]
> > I have tried with Emacs before, but it's like learning Japanese, where
> > every word and piece of grammar is different [...]
>
> Aha!  I think I've found the reason why I was able to learn to use
> emacs so quickly. :)  (Sorry I couldn't resist.  I'm a native speaker
> of Japanese.)

LOL Okay for you change the above to Swahili. I chose Japanese
carefully, because I had lessons at one time and since I speak other
European languages where I can make guesses at words I don't know, there
was no chance of that in Japanese.

> And yes, I had been using gnus on emacs for a long
> time before losing local news service and switching to Google Groups.

Ouch.

> I liked gnus a lot because it's seamlessly integrated into emacs, which
> I use daily for emailing, word processing (with LaTeX)

Yes, I'm a heavy LaTeX user, but have avoided emacs due to doing most
work, to date, on Windows. The reason I'm searching for a Linux
newsreader is that I would like to use a Linux laptop now that it's
becoming viable - for work, I mean, not as a hobby :-) And my newsreader
is a very important tool for me - probably my most important, far more
so than a browser - so compromise is not an option.

> and
> programming. (One important aspect of that kind of integration
> is that you don't have to remember different shortcut keys, such as
> C-a for jumping to the top of the line, C-g for interrupting,
> and C-s for searching.)

That's right. And that's precisely why emacs is such a pain to start
with - none of the, now standard, key combinations work on it. Still,
I'm going to start using it here and there, and hopefully I'll adjust
over time.

Onward with my newsreader search.

--
Best,