Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

Paul Smith said...
> %% marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> writes:
>
>   >> It's got more features than you can imagine, but you don't need to use
>   >> them to get started.
>
>   m> I have tried with Emacs before, but it's like learning Japanese,
>   m> where every word and piece of grammar is different - at least you
>   m> can have a guess at a French word.
>
> Well, you can move with the arrow keys, page up/down keys, home/end
> keys, use the menu bars until you learn the shortcuts, cut/paste with
> the mouse, resize frames and buffers with the mouse, etc.  I don't
> really understand what people mean when they say things like the above:
> you don't HAVE to learn ESC-META-ALT-CTL-SPC to use Emacs as an editor.

I know, but here's a 'for example'. I've loaded xemacs and opened gnus.
It merrily waltzes off and downloads stuff from new.gmane.org... then
presents me with two ngs: nndraft:drafts, nndraft:queue. Well, I presume
they are ngs, although my other clients don't see them.

Next, I look everywhere to try to discover how I can see the sorted list
of available ngs  and I try to find a relevant part of the docs that
might help. All I want to do is sub to a group and fiddle about, but I
can't even find the list of ngs? L just gives me the aforementioned two.

That's what I mean about emacs. I'm all for spending time learning a
tool, but surely not every process and function needs to be obfuscated!

I've tried ten to twelve usenet clients in the past couple of days, and
this is the only one hat has me baffled about how to list the available
newsgroups.

--
Best,
Marc