Re: Newsreader: Best of the bunch?

%% marc <gmane@auxbuss.com> writes:

  >> You can run Emacs in X mode and it's basically text but with useful
  >> windows stuff (you can select articles with the mouse, popup menus
  >> for odd things, etc.)

  m> GUI !=> mouse use
  m> a lot of folk imply that, but I don't understand why.

Well, you never defined what you meant by GUI, so I used the definition
most folks assume.

Based on what you've said here I'm pretty confident Emacs is "GUI
enough" for you.

  >> It's got more features than you can imagine, but you don't need to use
  >> them to get started.

  m> I have tried with Emacs before, but it's like learning Japanese,
  m> where every word and piece of grammar is different - at least you
  m> can have a guess at a French word.

Well, you can move with the arrow keys, page up/down keys, home/end
keys, use the menu bars until you learn the shortcuts, cut/paste with
the mouse, resize frames and buffers with the mouse, etc.  I don't
really understand what people mean when they say things like the above:
you don't HAVE to learn ESC-META-ALT-CTL-SPC to use Emacs as an editor.

Maybe they mean Elisp... but you don't need to know any Lisp anymore to
use Emacs: there's even a point-clickety mouse-based customization mode
that lets you do customization without setq (etc.).

Anyway, my $0.02.

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@nortel.com>           HASMAT--HA Software Mthds & Tools
        These are my opinions--Nortel takes no responsibility for them.