Re: Cannot get Xorg to start

On Sat, Oct 15, 2005 at 12:26:07AM +0200, Jan C. Nordholz wrote:
> > Hi Guys and Gals,
> > sorry to bother again, I am still struggling with getting Xorg to start on my system (debian testing, 2.6.7 kernel). I have used essentially the same settings as previously with xfree86. When I enter startx, I get a message that no device can be opened for the mouse
> >
> > xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mouse0
> >
> > If I go cat /dev/input/mouse0 (or /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice) no device is ffound. This is strange because they are the same devices that always worked previously. Could this have to do with some unresolved conflict between xfree86 and xorg? I would greatly appreciate any tips,
> >
> > thanks
> > Peter
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> if `cat /dev/input/mouse0` responds with "file not found", it means that the
> device file is missing - if it says "device not found", the kernel is lacking
> support for that kind of special device. Did you change your kernel at the
> same time you migrated from XF86 to Xorg? Do you have a USB or a PS/2 mouse?
> Did you compile the kernel yourself, or are you using a prepackaged one?
>

> Jan
>
> --
> Jan C. Nordholz
> <jckn At gmx net>

dmesg shows

input: IMPS/2 Logitec Wheel Mouse on isa0060/serio1

I am using a self-compiled 2.6.7 kernel which I compiled about a year ago for a Dell Dimension 8300. The mouse is an unremarkable one attached via PS/2.

I am not sure what to make of isa0060/serio1, the mouse definitely does not use an ISA interface, what does this mean?

THanks, Peter
:-}