Cannot get Xorg to start

Hi Guys and Gals,
sorry to bother again, I am still struggling with getting Xorg to start on my system (debian testing, 2.6.7 kernel). I have used essentially the same settings as previously with xfree86. When I enter startx, I get a message that no device can be opened for the mouse

xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mouse0

If I go cat /dev/input/mouse0 (or /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice) no device is ffound. This is strange because they are the same devices that always worked previously. Could this have to do with some unresolved conflict between xfree86 and xorg? I would greatly appreciate any tips,

thanks
Peter