Re: Cannot get Xorg to start

> Hi Guys and Gals,
> sorry to bother again, I am still struggling with getting Xorg to start on my system (debian testing, 2.6.7 kernel). I have used essentially the same settings as previously with xfree86. When I enter startx, I get a message that no device can be opened for the mouse
>
> xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mouse0
>
> If I go cat /dev/input/mouse0 (or /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice) no device is ffound. This is strange because they are the same devices that always worked previously. Could this have to do with some unresolved conflict between xfree86 and xorg? I would greatly appreciate any tips,
>
> thanks
> Peter

Hi Peter,

if `cat /dev/input/mouse0` responds with "file not found", it means that the
device file is missing - if it says "device not found", the kernel is lacking
support for that kind of special device. Did you change your kernel at the
same time you migrated from XF86 to Xorg? Do you have a USB or a PS/2 mouse?
Did you compile the kernel yourself, or are you using a prepackaged one?

Jan

--
Jan C. Nordholz
<jckn At gmx net>