udev trouble: no /dev/sd* devices

Hi--

So I have 3 machines that on which debian testing runs (which should
be essentially identical). Recently udev (and friends) appeared, and
on two of the machines, this was seemless. On the third, I now have no
/dev/sd* at all (no /dev/sda1 e.g.) -- it is my wife's computer and so
I didn't notice for a while...sigh.

I suspect on that machine I was slower to get the 2.6.12 kernel --
which was required -- installed. So that probably explains the
problem. But it doesn't explain how to fix it.

I've tried "dpkg-reconfigure"-ing hal and udev and hotplug and even
the kernel, to no avail. I note that the scsi.agent doesn't seem to
have been activated (I don't see it in /var/log/* whereas I do see
messages about scsi.agent in /var/log/messages on the other two
machines).

Advice apprec. I'd provide more details, but I have no real idea what
would be useful.

All the best,
gm