Re: Cannot get Xorg to start

Peter.Robinson@t-online.de wrote:

Hi Guys and Gals,
sorry to bother again, I am still struggling with getting Xorg to start on my system (debian testing, 2.6.7 kernel). I have used essentially the same settings as previously with xfree86. When I enter startx, I get a message that no device can be opened for the mouse

xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/input/mouse0

If I go cat /dev/input/mouse0 (or /dev/psaux or /dev/input/mice) no device is ffound. This is strange because they are the same devices that always worked previously. Could this have to do with some unresolved conflict between xfree86 and xorg? I would greatly appreciate any tips,

thanks
Peter

Add this to /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Section "ServerFlags"
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse doesn't work
EndSection

This basically allows you to startx even if mouse detection fails. If it works then you can configure mouse at a later point of time.

raju

--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
Graduate Student, MAE