Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

On Friday 14 October 2005 21:45, Marty wrote:
> Graham Smith wrote:
> > The problem is there is a world of difference between doing up and old
> > car as a hobby and trying to use a 486 as a desktop machine.
>
> You're ignoring the uses in between those two extremes.  For example, why
> use a modern machine, which uses 3 or 4 times the power, just for a
> firewall or backup server?

As you will see in an earlier post I had mentioned using one of the 486's as a
firewall. I hadn't thought of using it as a backup server but that's a good
idea.

Having said that though, personally, I would use the PII as the firewall,
backup, file server etc etc. The new fast machine as the family desktop and
ditch the other two.