Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

On Friday 14 October 2005 19:03, Marc Shapiro wrote:
> Like I said, I don't have enough space in the new apartment to set up
> multiple computers, but I dislike having computing power going to waste.
>   Can anyone suggest a way to network/connect all four to possibly
> distribute the load among them?  I am considering building a custom case
> to hold all the MBs and only have a single monitor, mouse and keyboard
> connected.  The case would, obviously, have to be fairly large, but it
> could then act as a table, as well, so the space would still be more
> efficient than four seperate cases which serve no othere purpose.

I love my old computers as much as the next guy but the 486's would have to be
skipped. Perhaps use one as a firewall but I fail to see any real use as a
desktop machine. The PII is probably just about fast enough - it depends what
you are willing to put up with I suppose.

If you want to turn them into a table I would just chock up the cases so they
are all the same height and lay a sheet of wood over the top. I don't see
much point in building an actual case for them as it will be a significant
amount of work for little gain. Especially so if you don't have a work shop
in which to make it.

Graham