Re: How to use old CPUs (Not Debian Specific)

Good afternoon!

Like I said, I don't have enough space in the new apartment to set up multiple computers, but I dislike having computing power going to waste.

Glad to hear that you aren't going to junk 'em (at least not right now).

Can anyone suggest a way to network/connect all four to possibly distribute the load among them?

Before reading further, I figured that networking them together would be solution.

I am considering building a custom case to hold all the MBs and only have a single monitor, mouse and keyboard connected. The case would, obviously, have to be fairly large, but it could then act as a table, as well, so the space would still be more efficient than four seperate cases which serve no othere purpose.

Why not just make each computer into a "table leg" (adjusted to the same height), plunk a nice table top over them and get a KVM switch that can let them share a monitor mouse and keyboard (all of these could be on a "lasy Susan" in the middle of the table)?

The Athlon shouldn't have a problem with Linux, the Net gateway shouldn't but Gnome or KDE might be a bit slow for you The 486 SX 25 computers are going to be slow! Maybe too slow for you. They could be put to mundane uses such as firewalling for your DSL or for experimentation or keep them for running the software that's already on them....my family still gets a kick out of Chip's Challenge (ca 1993) and Spectre (1992).

Happy renovating!

Rob