Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

* Antony Gelberg <antony@wayforth.co.uk> [2005 Oct 13 07:35 -0500]:
> Steve Lamb wrote:
> >Juraj Fedel wrote:
> >
> >>Is it possible to instal Ubuntu or Knoppix and then to cotinue
> >>with installing packages from Sarge? (Only CD available - no
> >>network download possible.)
> >

> >    With Knoppix, generally yes.  With Ubuntu, no.
> >
> >    Knoppix provides a way to copy the CD onto a partition and make it
> >bootable.  From there you can upgrade into Sarge.  There are some problems
> >with that procedure but sometimes Knoppix itself will recognize hardware
> >the
> >Debian installer does not so it makes for good 2nd chance install.  I've
> >done
> >it at least once in my memory.
>
> Are you sure about this?  AIUI a Knoppix hard disk install leaves the
> user with a Debian unstable system.  It was this "eek" factor that led
> me to install Ubuntu (actually Kubuntu as they preferred KDE to Gnome,
> having tried both) on my parents' machine.

Running the knx2hd utility from a terminal will give three options.
One is a Debian Sid install, the second is called Beginner which is
nearly like the CD, but mutli-user, and the third is to run as though
it were running from a KNOPPIX CD.

I tried the Debian Sid option recently, but there were too many
oddities so I wiped that partition, did a Sarge Net Install and then
bumped that up to Sid which has been working rather well.

Unfortunately, the KNOPPIX versions since at least 3.9.1 and up to
4.0.2 (which I tried last week) include QTParted 0.4.4 (IIRC) which is
buggy and messes up the intended partition table.  I ran cfdisk
manually and the knx2hd installer skipped QTParted and worked fine.

Yesterday k3b couldn't burn a CD from my Sid install (something about
mkisofs failing) so I rebooted into the KNOPPIX 4.0.2 HD install and
k3b worked perfectly.  Sometimes it's good to have different variations
installed--especially on a laptop when running Sid.

- Nate >>

  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  | free since January 1998.
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |  "Debian, the choice of
             My Kawasaki KZ-650 SR @            |     a GNU generation!"