Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

On (12/10/05 09:03), Chris Humphries wrote:
> I at one time had programs written to update a user's environment when they
> logged in (set up the desktop, check for updates, upload whatever, etc).
>
> This should be simple for debian (and others) based systems, by running the
> script to verify that a private repository is in sources.list and then update.
> Could use any means to sync the environment and "push" changes.
>
> Note: this can easily be done after user logs in from kdm/xdm/gdm, as there
> is a hook to run something after they successfully login. The script will get
> run as root, yet HOME and LOGIN should be correct to the user.
>
> in GDM: <sysconfdif>/gdm/PostLogin/Default
> only have gdm installed on this machine, not able to verify the others for
> exact filenames.
>
> Hrm, maybe I should rewrite it again. There may be a need at work (2k+ linux
> machines).

Yes, the update procedure is almost trivial and I certainly need to
learn how to automate this as much as possible - thanks for the
pointers.

It is the initial install and setup, on differing hardware, that requires
some Debian experience, which is where Kubuntu/Ubuntu provide an
alternative.  Thereafter, the GUI system update tools (synaptic etc.)
are pretty good and should be well within the grasp of the average
windows user.

Working on the premise of 'teaching a (wo)man to fish', it is desirable
for users to gain control of their system environment from the outset.
Those who have the aptitude/inclination to graduate to Debian are then
free to do so, with the benefit of experience of a Debian type system.

Regards

Clive

--
www.clivemenzies.co.uk ...