Re: debian vs ubuntu and knoppix

On (11/10/05 21:08), Sam Rosenfeld wrote:
> What are the major differences among the latest debian, ubuntu, and
> knoppix distros?

Leaving aside the ensuing debate on 'freeness':

Debian gives to access to the full Debian universe in 3 flavours:
stable, testing and unstable

Ubuntu is derived from Debian but not all debian packages will run on
it.  They polish their distro and provide their own package repository.

Knoppix is also debian derived and is used as a base by a number of
other distros.

FWIW, thus far, although I run sid, I've found kubuntu (KDE based
ubuntu) to be the distro that I'd give to someone who wanted a drop in
replacement for windows without having to learn about Debian or pay for
support.

Regards

Clive

--